Here’s yet another sign of just how unelectable Sarah Palin could be if she were to win the Republican nomination for president in 2012: A new survey from Public Policy Polling (D) finds her ahead of Obama by only one point in deep-red Texas.
Here are the GOPers performances against Obama, in descending order:
• Mike Huckabee leads Obama by a whopping 55%-39%.
• Mitt Romney leads Obama by 49%-42%.
• Newt Gingrich leads Obama by 48%-43%.
• Palin just edges Obama by 47%-46%.
• And Gov. Rick Perry, who has run populist anti-Washington campaigns and is now dealing with a serious state budget crunch, only ties Obama at 45%-45%.
“At the end of the day, it’s unlikely even the most unelectable Republican loses Texas in even the largest re-election landslide scenario for President Obama,” writes PPP president Dean Debnam. “But this certainly drives home how unpopular Sarah Palin is right now, and how much more popular Obama is than most Democrats.”
The poll also gives Obama an approval rating in Texas of only 42%, with a disapproval of 55%. Palin’s personal favorable ratings are quite similar, at 42%-53%.
The survey of registered voters has a ±3.3%. margin of error.