A White House source confirms to TPM that the Obama administration is considering releasing a photo of a deceased Osama bin Laden taken after the terrorist leader was shot dead by American forces. No decision has yet been made on releasing the photo, the source said, but confirmed other reports that a decision could come as soon as Tuesday.
White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan told ABC News Tuesday morning that photos of a dead bin Laden as well as videos taken by special forces’ helmet cameras during the raid are under consideration for release. But no final call has been made.
“We are looking at releasing additional information, details about the raid as well as any other types of material, possibly including photos,” he told the network. “We want to understand exactly what the possible reaction might be to the release of this information.”
The Drudge Report reported that the decision to release one photo had been made.
The reasons for releasing what are likely to be grisly images of a dead bin Laden, as reported by ABC:
Some of [9/11] families think seeing photos of bin Laden might help their healing. Other parts of the world have also asked to see the photos for proof that the master terrorist is dead.